The ROUNDDOWN function is one of the math and trigonometry functions in Microsoft Excel. It can be used as a standalone function as well as in collaboration with the other functions. This article will give you an overview of the ROUNDDOWN function in Excel.
The ROUNDDOWN function is used to round down a numerical value to a specific decimal place.
- number: It refers to the number to round off.
- num_digits: The total number of digits that you want after the decimal point.
A rounded-down version of the input number.
Examples of ROUNDDOWN Function
Suppose, you have the number 65.593275 in cell A2. You can round down the number to any number using the ROUNDDOWN function. Suppose, you want to round down 65.593275 to 3 decimal places. For that, use the formula:
The output will be 65.593.
Here are some examples of the usage of the ROUNDDOWN function.
Follow these steps to use the ROUNDDOWN function in Excel:
- Start with inserting an equal sign (=) in a blank cell.
- Then type ROUNDDOWN.
- Type open parenthesis “(“.
- Insert a number to round down.
- Then insert a comma (,).
- Now specify the number of digits that you want after the decimal point.
I want to round down the number to 3 decimal places. So, I have inserted 3 inside the function.
The ROUNDDOWN function converts 65.593275 into 65.593. Because here, num_digits is 3 which allows only 3 decimal places after the decimal point.
- The ROUNDDOWN function shows #VALUE! error in the case of non-numeric values.
- When a number is already rounded down, the ROUNDDOWN function doesn’t work.
Related Rounding Functions
- ROUND Function ⋙ rounds to the given number of decimal places.
- MROUND Function ⋙ rounds to the nearest specified multiple.
- ROUNDUP Function ⋙ rounds up a numerical value to a specific decimal place.
- CEILING Function ⋙ rounds up a numerical value to the nearest integer or the nearest multiple of significance.
- FLOOR Function ⋙ rounds down a numerical value to the nearest multiple of significance.
- INT Function ⋙ rounds down a numerical value to the nearest integer number.
- TRUNC Function ⋙ removes specific digits from the fraction part of a number.
The ROUNDDOWN function is one of the math and trigonometry functions in Excel. If you have any questions regarding the ROUNDDOWN function, please comment below. Thanks!